Monday, August 22, 2005

The Little Things

by David Scott Robertson

A while back my family and I decided we needed to get away and spend a few days in the Smoky Mountains.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, are two neighboring townships that are home to multiple dinner theaters, getaway cabins, helicopter rides, bungee jumping, miniature golf, go-carts, museums, malls, water parks, antique outlets, fine dining and a hundred other activities designed to satiate even the most adventuresome tourist.

Sevier County Tennessee is one of the hottest spots in the mid-South to connect with thousands of ways to spend your money and do something or see something out of the ordinary.

It didn't take long in the Smokies before I made an interesting discovery about myself. I discovered that it was the "little things" that really made the trip worthwhile for me.

My wife, daughter, and I went to the "Country Bear Jamboree" and enjoyed a marvelous dinner and show for $34.95 (+ tax) apiece. But you know what? We also enjoyed eating turkey sandwiches and potato salad and cookies from Kroger in the motel room watching Animal Planet.

My wife, daughter, and I went to Dolly Parton's "Dixie Stampede" wild-west dinner show for $35.99 (+ tax) apiece. But you know what? We also enjoyed going to the movie theater in Pigeon Forge to catch the world premier of Episode III of Star Wars for a fraction of the cost.

My wife, daughter, and I went to the "Comedy Barn" and enjoyed a hilarious evening of good, clean jokes, skits, and music that they presented for $19.95 (+ tax) apiece. But you know what? We also had a blast popping some microwave popcorn and eating snacks out of the vending machines at the motel and piling up in bed together watching re-runs of M*A*S*H and "Full House."

My wife, daughter, and I went to Dollywood and had an awesome day of music and rides and shows for $43.50 (+ tax) apiece. But you know what? We also had a memory-making time in the pool together playing "Marco Polo."

From the experience, I've come to a not too surprising conclusion. For me, it doesn't take much to have a good time. It doesn't take a lot of money, a lot of glitz and glamorous costumes and animatronics to make a super-duper memory.

Nope. For me, it's not necessarily where I'm at or what I'm doing or how much it costs that counts...it's who I'm with.

I love being with family and close friends doing whatever. At the end of the day, at the end of vacation, yes, even at the end of life, we'll probably discover that it was the "little things" that brought us the most enjoyment and lasting satisfaction.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for the little things that enhance our quality of life.

Thank you for taste buds.
Thank you for ripe bananas.
Thank you for ice cream.
Thank you for the thrill of throwing rocks in the pond with our kids.
Thanks for bedtime stories.
Thanks for the family piling up in the bed to watch a funny movie with all the dogs and cats curled up asleep around us.
Thank you that every day, every single day, you arrange lots of little things to cross paths with us that add value to who we are.

And thank you, Lord, for the good sense you give us to discern the simple pleasures of life.


DSR
8/22/05