Monday, November 28, 2005

Water Walker

by David Scott Robertson

(John 21:7 NIV) Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.

* * *

This single verse endlessly fascinates me. I cannot prove the things I am about to say regarding this scripture. Nevertheless, it is my conviction that there is an amazing story embedded in this passage regarding Peter.

A few verses earlier, the Bible records Simon Peter’s statement: “I’m going out to fish” (John 21:3). What was he really saying here to the other disciples? Could this have been code for, “since Jesus is dead, I’m going back to my old job as a fisherman?”

Peter had washed out as the cocky disciple who boasted to the Lord, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will" (Matthew 26:33). Jesus broke the news to him that "…this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times" (Matthew 26:34).

Peter, at that point, still had not been broken of his bad habit of correcting the Lord as we discover when Peter responds: "…Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you” (Matthew 26:35).

So back to point about Peter jumping into the water that flagged my attention in the first place.

As soon as Peter heard John say that “it is the Lord!” he snapped into action. Immediately he put on his outer garment. Don’t you find that interesting? I’m a swimmer and before I swim laps I take off my garments; including my shoes and socks, and put on a light swimsuit. It’s hard to swim with clothes on. Why did Peter put on his outer garment, which may have been a cloak or robe that when waterlogged would make swimming to shore exceedingly difficult, perhaps even dangerous?

I think I may have the answer. Could it be that Peter didn’t plan on swimming to shore at all? If he was going to swim, wouldn’t he leave his outer garment in the boat and maybe even take off his sandals and dive in head first? But he didn’t dive in; the Bible says he jumped in.

Could it be that Peter, once Jesus’ identity had been confirmed by John, wanted to get back into the Lord’s graces by walking on the water to Him? Could it be that Peter wanted to “hit the ground running” in making his way back to the Lord? What better way to demonstrate to Jesus that he would was no longer willing to take his eyes off the Master than by walking on water like He had before? Perhaps in Peter’s thinking it was the perfect scenario for him to “make up” for his denial and get things back on track with the Lord.

Whatever thoughts or hopes might have been racing through Peter’s impulsive mind at the time must have drown as gravity took him below the water’s surface, outer garment and all. If this were the case, so much for impressing Jesus Christ.

A few verses later, we find Jesus striking at the heart of the matter in His conversation with the sopping wet disciple.

“When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep” (John 21:15-17).

The point I sense that Jesus was possibly making to Peter that could apply to us centuries later is this: Walking in miracles isn’t as impressive to Jesus as caring for His flock.

It may not be exploits that Christ is looking for as much as faith expressed in works of love. Jesus seemed to confirm this thought with His profound statement of what true discipleship would look like:

“By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:35).

DSR
11/28/05